Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

You Can Pick Your Friends...

...and sometimes, they pick you.

Periodically, I marvel at the company I am lucky enough to keep. People who are kind, intelligent, humble. People who laugh with me, and only at me when I deserve it. People who impress me and inspire me and rally me to be the better version of myself. Sometimes, I'm envious - though I don't want to be anyone but me. I'm envious of the maximizing of self that I don't always muster.

Puppy Huskies
Seward, Alaska - June 21, 2010

There's a claim: Woe unto the wicked person, and woe unto his neighbor. And the corollary: Good unto the righteous person, good unto his neighbor.

I'm glad to be the "neighbor" of so many righteous people. Their "good" rubs of on me, as does their goodness. I believe I reciprocate in turn (this is not a beat-myself-up-fest). Just a note of appreciation to those who are oh so very good to me and for me. And a note of pride for myself - that at least I know how to pick 'em!

Tonight, I spent some time with two of those super-duper excellent friends, each impressive in her own right, for different reasons. And one of whom gave me the chills by recalling events of more than twenty years ago - events that in and of themselves acknowledge exactly the kind of circle I'm describing, that I'm proud to be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment