Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Perils of Caution

How risk-averse are you? How adventuresome are you? Is that a conscious decision? Would you rather jump into the unknown? Would you rather remain calm?


Over the years, I've discovered that I'm not as risk-averse as I thought I was. Rather, for the right reasons, I'm able to take risks. Bungee-jumping still holds no appeal. Gambling all my money - no appeal there either. But emotional risks - I'm all for 'em. And even some physical challenges - I've discovered that I can do what I need to when I need to, if I really need to. And yes, that is indeed a very conscious decision.

So too, these days, when the risk seems too great to bear, I have no shame in being averse to it. The unknown factor, of course, is how risky the given venture is. And when to bear it and when to avoid. Because missing out might be a serious shame (even if you don't have FOMO - aka: Fear Of Missing Out). And because suffering the dangerous consequences of a real risk gone wrong are likely never worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment