Search This Blog

Friday, June 22, 2012

Bad Choices: Want vs. Should

It's been quite a week, and I haven't sufficiently stuck to my plan to blog every day of June (which is a wimpy way of acknowledging that I haven't blogged every day of June). I believe it boils down to choosing what I want to do in that given moment that could have been dedicated to blogging, as compared to doing what I "should" do - namely, what I really want to be doing (blogging), though perhaps not at that moment when it rolls around.

So too now. I'm writing this blog when I really should be doing some academic work. And what I want to be doing is taking a nap. So the "should" is getting lost...and there's no question that that is a bad choice. Even though it's the desirable one at the moment.

Apparently, the long-term vs. short-term factor has been noted by others who know more about this particular decision-making phenomenon (I mean, scientifically and all) than I do.

http://jimmybook.com/relationships/what-do-i-want-to-be-remembered-for/
(I could probably use this comic every single day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment