Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2012

When Decisions Are More Than You Expect







All that money-saving I described the other day makes a friend of mine feel like she's taking charge of the situation - namely, being able to choose cell phone carriers and so on means that she no longer feels that she is at the mercy (or lack thereof) of big companies.

Today, I had a similar "take-charge" decision. That is - I decided a while ago to do Q, because it made sense in the context of the greater picture. Today, I began implementing Q. That followed naturally from the decision. At some point (lo and behold, today), I would actually have to follow through, or what gain did that decision get me?

Actually, a lot more than I counted on.

In moving forward in a path of my choosing (the aforesaid Q), I was taking charge of the situation - though I didn't realize it until after I began the process today. Not that I need to be in charge. It's not a "control thing." It's that sometimes things seem to be spinning out of control, and when you feel buffeted by forces beyond your control, it's a real relief when you discover you can do something about those forces after all. At least, to some extent. Apparently, this takes place even when you only plan a humdrum decision. But in the right context, you take back yourself, it seems. At least, to some extent.

It's a pretty excellent feeling - even when some measure of that is surely mythical in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment