Search This Blog

Friday, June 8, 2012

Cutting Costs



When you want more money, but your salary won't be raised (this year), and you don't live lavishly, what's there to do?

You can decide to cut costs wherever you can - even when you think you can't.

Several new developments have made my ability to cut costs these days easier.

  1. The new cell phone wars in Israel mean that by changing my provider, I save a whopping amount;
  2. The electrical company (in Israel) has issued a challenge to cut usage by offering a reward of a discount if certain thresholds are met;
  3. A review of old phone bills, internet provider bills, and so on reveals that I can eliminate long-forgotten regular charges;
  4. Doing away with an old email account that posts $14.95 to my credit card every month (I've been wanting to get rid of it for a long time, but now it's part of the "carpe diem" (or carpe mammon, as the case may be).
  5. Job perks, including a discounted lunch, can be maximized, yielding - yup - a free lunch.

Obviously, the decision to save money - cut costs, whatever - didn't take place in a day. All of these details take time to collect and act upon. But I just received notification that my cell phone transfer has taken effect (I have to change the SIM card to be sure), and one of today's tasks is finishing up with #3 and #4 above).

I'm not in favor of being a skinflint, but saving money at every corner that you can is a choice I'm proud to act on.

PS: As far as yesterday went, the good in the bad turned out to be only good. Fortunately, not a "bad choice" in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment