Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

So Many Choices...

...so little time!

Today, someone I haven't seen in years mentioned that she would be in my neighborhood, and would I like to meet her for coffee - to catch up.

Of course, I would LIKE to do such a thing. But Tuesday nights - at present - are jam-packed. From 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM, I host a gathering in my house.  From 8:30 PM - 10:00 PM, I'm expected to attend a gathering in someone else's house (the respective purposes of these "gatherings" are irrelevant to the question of competing events at the same time - when you want to do both. And to top it off, my watch is being temperamental, which means I am less likely to succeed in my attempts to handle time responsibly!


Don't think I wanted to have this conflict. I suggested to the late-comer to my schedule that we meet on a different night. That wasn't good for anyone else. So be it - now, I run from one thing to the next (the earlier commitment now begins (and ends!) 5 minutes earlier, and I arrive at the later commitment later than ever before, but there).

Or at least, that's been the theory. In practice? Not so much. The earlier overwhelmed the later, and  of course, there are always more tasks to be done at home that deter leaving. Tonight, the theory became the practice, when I decided - I'm going!

Being able to do everything is clearly preferable. I am not blessed, however, with a high tolerance for leaving one thing early and arriving at the next thing late. I know people who do this - and they seem be to able to manage it all. I'd rather be able to arrive on time (not crazy early, though) for everything. That would have been my preference tonight too, but it was not the choice at hand.

Bottom line: I'm glad I did both.

No comments:

Post a Comment