Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Good Deed of the Day

This is not a moralizing post. I'm just pleased that I decided to overcome my baser (shyer) instincts, and succeeded.

This morning, as I rode the bus to work, I saw - thought I saw - a man's hat drop from inside his hood to the floor behind him. Notice it! I thought to myself. But he didn't.

Let me explain that even in a friendly country where everyone takes your business to be their own, I have a hard time approaching strangers to comment on their well-being.

I decided I would tell the man he'd dropped his hat when he stood up to get off the bus (my stop is second-to-last). But he didn't stand up. And some woman sat in the seat behind him where his hat lay on the floor, against the wall of the bus.

You know the image of the little angel on one shoulder and the little devil on the other? Well, finally, the angel won.

I stood a moment earlier than my stop and approached the man in his seat: Sir...sir? It seems that your hat has fallen. He scrounged around, found it, and thanked me.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/vintage_advertising/pool/page91/?view=lg

We all (I hope) do some good every day, whether we think about it or not. What good did you decide to do today?

No comments:

Post a Comment