Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Seasonal Sadness

I would like to claim that I haven't been posting much because of the sad season on the Jewish calender. The three weeks between the two fasts of the 17th day of the Hebrew month of Tammuz and the 9th day of the Hebrew month of Av are a time of mourning for the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem, ending the era of Jewish sovereignty 2,000 years ago. Creative endeavors, at least completing them, are discouraged, in recognition of the fact that creativity may well engender joy. If I had refrained from posting to this blog for that reason, I might be justified. I do enjoy crafting these posts, after all.

But I made no conscious decision to avoid posting during this time. To the contrary! Every day, I have decided that today, I will complete post X, plan post Y, and think about post Z. Instead, I...don't. No decision made. Simply inertia running the show, until I realize that the evening is over, and bedtime should be considered, and the blog posts deferred until tomorrow.

This planning for tomorrow has been the default a few too many days in a row (maybe a week!). I cannot know what tomorrow will actually bring, of course. And since tomorrow is indeed that second fast day, Tisha B'Av, the ninth of Av, the odds are slim that I will post again before the day of somber, mournful fasting is ended.

But the plan for the blog has not grown cold, and my decision to pursue this particular creativity is sharp still. Inertia does not conquer conscious decisions in the long run. Or, not as long as I remember the plan!

Stay tuned, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment