Search This Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Quick: Breakfast

What should I have for breakfast? What should you?


My mother never asks this question. Long before I knew her (I believe), she began a routine of cottage cheese and toast, with jam and cinnamon, accompanied by coffee and a small glass of orange juice. If you ask her, she will tell you that she discovered it as a dieter's breakfast (before the addition of jam), and it was recommended by Weight Watchers (perhaps she'll correct in the comments below, if I have these details wrong). Over the years, the type of bread has varied (raisin bread, whole wheat, challah). The number of cups of coffee has varied (depending on the size of the cup, I believe). The orange juice may be from concentrate, or not. And the flavor of jam is unimportant (strawberry is the taste of choice, but grape or raspberry would do fine in a pinch, I'm sure). Mom, this "Quick Question" is not for you.

Yes, this is what it looks like. Sorry.
    .

Most of the rest of the world is more flexible, more variable, I believe.

A cup of coffee?
A bowl of cereal (with milk)?
A muffin?
Bagels and lox?
A hard-boiled egg?
A breakfast bar?
A banana?
Cottage cheese and chopped tomatoes and cucumbers?
Scrambled eggs and hash browns and a side of bacon, washed down with orange juice?
None at all?

breakfast-buffet--CB006000.jpg

Do you eat on the run? Do you eat in your car? Do you sit down to a large buffet (entailing a whole new set of choices!)?

As a kid, I ate cereal. Cheerios. Raisin Bran. Rice Krispies. Granola. The occasional Alphabits or Fruit Loops. Eggo waffles. Hot instant oatmeal in the winter (Maple & Brown Sugar was our favorite). Hot farina that my grandfather would cook up at 4:00 AM before he left for the office, when we visited. Big events were french toast or pancakes or rocky mountains (after we brought the concept home from camp breakfast cookouts - here's the recipe).

In high school, and for years thereafter, I ate no breakfast at all. At some point, I became diligent about ingesting that "most important meal of the day." I still nearly never eat when I first awaken, and sometimes I forget to eat until many hours later. But I'll eat something. Usually a breakfast bar or a yogurt or pita and peanut butter (yes) or cereal or a brioche (a Friday treat). Most often accompanied by some version of latte (except when I skip the food part altogether).

Different occasions call for different foods, of course. But how much attention do you pay to your breakfast?

Does what you eat in the morning make or break your day?


2 comments:

  1. The cottage cheese/jam/cinnamon on toast tastes a lot better than it looks!

    Point of information - Weight Watchers called for sugar-free jam. I opted for regular jam and did not worry about the sugar.

    When staying at a hotel, I choose eggs or French toast since the cottage cheese concoction is harder to make and never tastes as good away as it does at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loves me my breakfast. Always a cup of coffee. Sometimes cereal, but I prefer toast, or a muffin, or oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete